[PyQt] Question about Sort/Filter behaviour

James Polk jpolk5001 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 30 03:02:48 GMT 2010

Hi All,
Before asking this question, I did side-by-side testing and confirmation
of the sorting results in both the "Basic" and "Custom" examples...
Even compared the C++ vs Python generated code, same results...
I also checked this on Pete's newly posted custom example..

The observation is this...it appears that typing text into the pattern line
generates a behaviour that is *always* regExp behaviour...

For example,...supposed I set
     filterColumn to "Date"
     filterSyntax  to  "Wildcard"
and finally, in filterPattern, I type 1/*    (with no quotes)

I would expect to get a view returned with with all the January
dates...but I get nothing...
If I remove the slash (/), leaving  1*, I get everything, or better said
I get the behaviour of regExp,....if you switch filterSyntax to
"regular expression", you'll get the same results...

Another example...set
      filterColumn to "Date"
Type "12:"  (no quote) into filterPattern.
Now keep switching filterSyntax from "regExp", "Wildcard", and
"Fixed String", and every time you get the same output...

There are other examples I can provide too....
There appears to be something odd going on here...at the very least,
it doesn't appear to conform to Unix-like standard conventions of
regularExpression and/or Wildcard interpretation...
Is it just that the "Date" data is set up odd?

I tried a similar example on the "Sender" column, but get same
kind of results...

Lastly,...I set
     filterColumn to "Subject"
     filterPattern  to "Sports"   (again , no quotes)
sequencing thru filterSyntax,....going from regExp, to Wildcard,
to Fixed String, I always get the same output...
At least on "Fixed String", I would expect to get 1 returned record,
but it's behaving like it's a regExp,...ignoring the "RE: etc" and the
"AW: etc" non-matching cases...

Does this strike anyone else as odd? or am I just going crazy?..lol
Thanks,