[PyQt] Skinning the title bar and window border

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Wed Sep 22 12:31:03 BST 2010

[Sorry for mangling the receiver list - I prefer to keep this discussion on
this list]

On Wednesday 22 September 2010, 12:47:54 pard wrote:
> Hi Pete
>
> I understand why it is not popular. However, this is a requirement for
> work purposes.
> I had created a working program using wxpython for the gui, but the
> client required a
> specific colour scheme, fonts, etc. I found that wxpython was very
> restrictive when it
> comes to theming.

Well, due to the multi layered nature of wxpython, it is very restrictive,
when it comes to lower level tasks in general..

> PyQt uses stylesheets which make it much simpler to theme an application.
> The only
> outstanding requirement is that the frame must be the same theme as the
> application.
> Marketing is quite adamant about this.

Yes, I know, usability is for wimps, real man conquer any dorky user
interface derailments. [no _personal_ pun intended]

> I also understand that it would be better to start with the basics,
> however, the deadline
> is also tight. If there are any resources which would give pointers as to
> how to
> reconstruct the work of window managers for my app it would be much
> appreciated.

I don't know of anything PyQt related. David?

I would search for frameless Qt application sources. Thanks to PyQt's
architecture (that makes almost everything of Qt accessible from Python),
it's usually pretty simple to translate such code to Python.

What's the aspirated target architecture?

Pete