[PyQt] trouble installing pyqt4 from source on fedora 13

Darren Dale dsdale24 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 16:24:47 BST 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Sep 2010 10:16:27 -0400, Darren Dale <dsdale24 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I just upgraded the OS on a computer at work to fedora 13, and I am
>> attempting to install sip and pyqt4 from source (since the versions
>> provided by the package manager are surprisingly out of date.) When I
>> run "python configure.py", I get the following:
>>
>> ---
>> Determining the layout of your Qt installation...
>> Error: Qt has been built as static libraries so either the -g or -k
>> argument
>> should be used.
>> ---
>>
>> I don't think this is accurate. I have installed the qt-devel package
>> (4.6.3-8fc13.x86_64), and my /usr/lib64 contains the libQt*.so files
>> for all the .so files I expected to see. Here are the contents of
>> qtdirs.out:
>>
>> ---
>> /usr/lib64/qt4
>> /usr/include
>> /usr/lib64
>> /usr/lib64/qt4/bin
>> /usr/lib64/qt4
>> /usr/lib64/qt4/plugins
>> 263683
>> 1048575
>> Open Source
>>
>> PyQt_NoPrintRangeBug
>> ---
>>
>> Could anyone suggest what I've overlooked? According to
>>
> http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/14306102/dir/fedora_13/com/qt-4.6.3-8.fc13.x86_64.rpm.html
>> , the packages I have installed should have provided the shared
>> libraries, but I must be missing something.
>
> configure.py is checking to see if QT_SHARED is defined (the blank line in
> the output implies it is not). The .pro it creates for qtdirs contains a
> workaround for "certain" broken distros to make sure it is set properly.
> Maybe the workaround no longer works.

I found some bug reports/discussion that might be relevant:

http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-2098
http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-9110?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel

from https://svn.zib.de/lenne3d/tools/cmake/2.4.5/Modules/FindQt4.cmake :
    # warning currently only qconfig.pri on Windows potentially
contains "static"
    # so QT_SHARED might not get defined properly on Mac/X11 (which
seems harmless right now)
    # Trolltech said they'd consider exporting it for all platforms in
future releases.

I tried also to find how the fedora devs managed to patch and build
pyqt in the fedora environment, but I can't find anything. Aren't they
compelled by the terms of the GPL to make such patches available?

Darren