[PyQt] Basic 3D Viewer

Knacktus knacktus at googlemail.com
Mon May 30 20:04:16 BST 2011

Hi guys,

I need to evaluate the options for building a basic 3D viewer with PyQt.
The scenes are static, but quite large (some hundreds medium complex
(~500 triangles) objects). Show/Hide objects, rotate, drag, zoom, change
colors and some other basic operations need to be available.

Currently, I've got some very coarse understanding of OpenGL and
scenegraphs, but cannot really grasp the complexitiy of the topic.

Can anyone comment on the complexity of building it from scratch? I'm
looking for some directions, best practices. E.g., do PyOpenGL and PyQt
play together?

Also, are there some higher level scenegraph libs (or bindings) or 3D
engines (CAD engine) compatible with PyQt that could be usefull?

Cheers,

Jan