[PyQt] Segfault with QDesktopServices.openUrl

Kovid Goyal kovid at kovidgoyal.net
Fri Aug 22 03:49:59 BST 2014

On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:02:10AM +0200, David Boddie wrote:
> On Thu Aug 21 16:19:59 BST 2014, Kovid Goyal wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 01:42:02PM +0000, David Boddie wrote:
> > > There's some code in openUrl() that expects to find a platform integration
> > > instance to use, which I believe only exists if you create a QApplication
> > > instance first:
> >
> > Oh I know that the code as is *requires* QApplication. My point was that
> > it doesn't actually *need* QApplication. The dependency on QApplication is
> > a (probably) unintended side effect of the move to the QPA architecture.
>
> Sure, but there's no going back now. Have you considered using a pure Python
> alternative, such as the desktop module?
>
>   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/desktop

For me, depending on QApplication is not a problem. I have written a
headless QPA plugin that means that constructing a QApplication is very
cheap and requires no running X server on linux. But, thanks for the
link, I was not aware of the python desktop package, it looks useful,
especially since Qt 5 seems very reluctant to use the desktop
environment based file open dialogs.

Kovid.

--

Dr. Kovid Goyal