[PyQt] Segfault with QDesktopServices.openUrl

David Boddie davidb at met.no
Fri Aug 22 10:41:01 BST 2014

On Fri Aug 22 03:49:59 BST 2014, Kovid Goyal wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:02:10AM +0200, David Boddie wrote:

[...]

> > Sure, but there's no going back now. Have you considered using a pure Python
> > alternative, such as the desktop module?
> >
> >   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/desktop
>
> For me, depending on QApplication is not a problem. I have written a
> headless QPA plugin that means that constructing a QApplication is very
> cheap and requires no running X server on linux.

Is the code online somewhere? I wrote something similar for a server side
application. It would be interesting to know if there were some tricks I
missed:

https://github.com/david-boddie-met-no/qt4-headless/tree/master/debian/patches

> But, thanks for the
> link, I was not aware of the python desktop package, it looks useful,
> especially since Qt 5 seems very reluctant to use the desktop
> environment based file open dialogs.

I think that desktop support in Qt is still recovering from the narrow
mobile focus of the past few years. I don't know whether Qt 5 is any
better or worse in this respect.

David