[PyQt] Windows Install Issue

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Mon Jan 13 18:23:02 GMT 2014

On 13-01-2014 5:38 pm, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hello,
>
> the only ‚work around‘ would be to compile PyQt5 yourself.
> However, depending on what you want to achieve, it may be simpler to
> just stay with PyQt4 and hope, that Phil creates installers, that can
> be installed in parallel. I don’t see a reason, why this should not
> be possible. Eric5 needs PyQt4 to be run. However, that may change
> for
> the next major release (scheduled end of this year).

The issue is that for a particular Python installation you can only
have one Qt installation because of the way qt.conf works. So you would
need to build PyQt4 and PyQt5 against the same copy of Qt5.

Or (and much easier) you have two Python installations, one for PyQt4
and one for PyQt5. This would allow you to use eric (implemented in
PyQt4) to debug PyQt5 code using all the standard Python and PyQt
installers. (At least I think so, Windows registry settings may be
problematic.)