[PyQt] pyqtdeployed app crashes on launch

Dave Gradwell davegradwell at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 00:43:23 BST 2014

Hi Lloyd, thanks for the message.

I am still just using the example in /examples/mainwindows/application/application.py
and the line of code reads
import application_rc
... and application_rc.py exists as a sibling of application.py.

For what it's worth, the application runs as expected when interpreted with python3.4 from the command line (so the code intrinsically works).

I regenerated the file using pyrcc5 (just to be sure) - but to no avail.
(Yep, the file has content - and it works when application.py is run from a normal Python interpreter).

> You're building verbose?  Did you look at the makefile
> and the log of
> the compile?  Does the frozen file exist in the tmp
> directory?
I wasn't, but I am now.  The output in pyqtdeploy's 'build' tab is:
Freezing /Users/admin/Desktop/app-4/application_rc.py
Running '/Users/admin/Desktop/building/built/bin/python3.4m /var/folders/wq/k3bzbz7d4m15ddsw3psx003c0000gn/T/freeze.py --as-data /Users/admin/Desktop/app-4/build/resources/app-4/application_rc.pyf /Users/admin/Desktop/app-4/application_rc.py'

There is a section in the Makefile that an expert might understand.  It is the only mention of application_rc.
compiler_rcc_make_all: qrc_pyqtdeploy.cpp qrc_stdlib.cpp qrc_site-packages.cpp
compiler_rcc_clean:
    -$(DEL_FILE) qrc_pyqtdeploy.cpp qrc_stdlib.cpp qrc_site-packages.cpp
qrc_pyqtdeploy.cpp: resources/pyqtdeploy.qrc \
        resources/app-4/application_rc.pyf
    /Users/admin/Qt5.3.1/5.3/clang_64/bin/rcc -name pyqtdeploy resources/pyqtdeploy.qrc -o qrc_pyqtdeploy.cpp

qrc_stdlib.cpp: resources/stdlib.qrc \

Is it just me that thinks such a phenomenal framework deserves a decent building tool.
I would love to get this application finished and buy a license.

Best,

Dave.

 Subject: Re: [PyQt] pyqtdeployed app crashes on launch
 To: pyqt at riverbankcomputing.com
 Date: Sunday, 13 July, 2014, 14:35

 Thats curious, I don't have an
 answer, just brainstorming wild ideas here...

 How exactly are you importing application_rc?  In my
 app, I use a full
 path 'import app.app_rc'.  Maybe a relative import
 doesn't work?

 Of course you have generated application_rc using pyrcc5 and
 the file is
 not empty?