[PyQt] Supplying PyQt5 via PyPI

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Mon Sep 22 22:13:30 BST 2014

On Saturday, September 20, 2014 01:45:51 PM Darren Dale wrote:
> https://docs.python.org/2/extending/windows.html#building-on-windows :
> "Notice that you should use the same version of VC++that was used to build
> Python itself."
>
> http://siomsystems.com/mixing-visual-studio-versions/
>
> On Sat, Sep 20, 2014 at 8:51 AM, Marcus Ottosson <konstruktion at gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi Darren,
> >
> > Hmm.. I've been using 5.3 with Python 2.7 for the past year or so,
> > compiled using vs2012 initially, but lately vs2013. Are you sure this is
> > relevant?
> >
> > Best,
> > Marcus

I have compiled qt/sip/pyqt and a lot of other c++ stuff with msvc2005, 2008,
2010, and recently 2012 ALL linked against python.org's python 2.7 and I've
never had an issue.  This code has been used extensively in production with
over 100 users inside various 3rd party applications (3dsmax, softimage xsi,
more recently maya), a bunch of in house applications, and from python.exe
itself.

However you MUST use the same msvc for anything that passes around c++
objects, or you WILL get crashes.

Fortunately libpython is an all C api and it's my understanding that the C ABI
has been stable between msvc versions.  I think the new/delete problem does
not apply because of the way python's memory management works.  I also think
that any python modules i've compiled do not pass FILE pointers to python's
api.

I'm not saying problems aren't possible just that in my experience it works
fine.

Matt