[PyQt] Losing xcode project changes when using pyqtdeploy?

David Morris othalan at othalan.net
Fri Sep 11 19:04:11 BST 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Phil Thompson
<phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2015, at 11:54 pm, David Morris <othalan at othalan.net> wrote:
> >
> > I am creating an iOS application using PyQt via pyqtdeploy and I am attempting to configure the
> > xcode project beyond what the basic pyqtdeploy app handles.  However, I am losing changes when
> > I change python code and must rerun pyqtdeploy.
>
> pyqtdeploy knows nothing about XCode project files - they are generated by qmake.

Phil,
I hoped this was the case, however this also highlights my problem and
the reason pyqtdeploy does not meet my current development
requirements.  Xcode is required for creating an iOS app (no
exceptions), and running pyqtdeploycli with the build action causes
Xcode specific settings to be lost.  The relevant files containing
data being lost might be generated by qmake (and qmake's automatically
generated Makefile), however the reason those files are being
recreated is because pyqtdeploy is touching files which do not need to
be updated.

My need is to be able to update the iOS app python files without the
requirement to completely reset all iOS specific settings manually on
every compile.

I have taken a first step at achieving this by calling the
freeze.python script within pyqtdeploy for a single file (when my own
Makefile finds that a file has changed).  This works, however it is
limiting and presumably not an officially supported feature.  It also
does not handle the case of what happens when I add new files to the
python project.

Thus my question:  Is there a way to update an existing build created
by pyqtdeploy without loosing customizations which MUST occur after
pyqtdeploy has been run?

If not, I will find my own way to implement this.  However, I would
prefer to continue to use the pyqtdeploy app in its official state if
possible.

Thank you,
David