[PyQt] Losing xcode project changes when using pyqtdeploy?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.com
Fri Sep 11 21:56:18 BST 2015

On 11/09/2015 7:04 pm, David Morris wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 1:56 AM, Phil Thompson
> <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
>> On 10 Sep 2015, at 11:54 pm, David Morris <othalan at othalan.net> wrote:
>> >
>> > I am creating an iOS application using PyQt via pyqtdeploy and I am attempting to configure the
>> > xcode project beyond what the basic pyqtdeploy app handles.  However, I am losing changes when
>> > I change python code and must rerun pyqtdeploy.
>>
>> pyqtdeploy knows nothing about XCode project files - they are
>> generated by qmake.
>
> Phil,
> I hoped this was the case, however this also highlights my problem and
> the reason pyqtdeploy does not meet my current development
> requirements.  Xcode is required for creating an iOS app (no
> exceptions), and running pyqtdeploycli with the build action causes
> Xcode specific settings to be lost.  The relevant files containing
> data being lost might be generated by qmake (and qmake's automatically
> generated Makefile), however the reason those files are being
> recreated is because pyqtdeploy is touching files which do not need to
> be updated.
>
> My need is to be able to update the iOS app python files without the
> requirement to completely reset all iOS specific settings manually on
> every compile.
>
> I have taken a first step at achieving this by calling the
> freeze.python script within pyqtdeploy for a single file (when my own
> Makefile finds that a file has changed).  This works, however it is
> limiting and presumably not an officially supported feature.  It also
> does not handle the case of what happens when I add new files to the
> python project.
>
> Thus my question:  Is there a way to update an existing build created
> by pyqtdeploy without loosing customizations which MUST occur after
> pyqtdeploy has been run?
>
> If not, I will find my own way to implement this.  However, I would
> prefer to continue to use the pyqtdeploy app in its official state if
> possible.

You'll have to explain the problem in more detail. Are you saying that
the problem is a new .pro file is being generated even though its
contents are unchanged?

If qmake doesn't support the ability to define additional information
needed for an iOS application then that is a bug in qmake. The
workaround would be a post-qmake step to add the required information.