[PyQt] No errors reported by deployed application, no functionality either

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Sat Feb 6 22:46:39 GMT 2016

On 2016-02-06 17:03, Kyle Altendorf wrote:
>                                           Any recommendations on how
> to get some useful information about why my executable silently exits
> with a 0 return code when run on it's own?

Interesting.  Running my executable from Cygwin did result in it
printing out what I expected and also it popped up a dialog box saying:

     This application failed to start because it could not
     find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows".

Searching around turned up a comment on StackOverflow [1] that suggested
setting an environment variable to point to the Qt platform plugins.

     QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH=%QTDIR%\plugins\platforms\

In my case I used these (cmd.exe, Cygwin):

     set
QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH="C:\Qt\Qt5.5.1\5.5\msvc2010\plugins\platforms"

     export
QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH="C:\Qt\Qt5.5.1\5.5\msvc2010\plugins\platforms"

This fixed it for Cygwin and my application runs.  In cmd.exe it still
exits silently.

Cheers,
-kyle

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/a/20496175/228539