[PyQt] future of (py)qt desktop

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Jan 6 12:16:04 GMT 2016

* Saša Janiška <gour at atmarama.com> [2016-01-06 12:27:13 +0100]:
> However, I read some comment in wxPython-dev list which says:
>
> "The nice thing with wx is that it does not jump on the HTML5/Javascript
> bandwagon. E.g. with Qt the traditional desktop widgets are more or less
> a dead end and there's no C++/Python api for the more recent Qt Quick
> approach, which makes development a pain."

Both are wrong ;)

The traditional Qt widgets work very well (and if you look at your
favourite Qt desktop applications, chances are that's what they use).

Looking at e.g. http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qtbase.git/log/src/widgets
you'll also notice they are still developed, though certainly they're
more or less considered "done". But still then, even for new stuff
like QtWebEngine, the widgets API is usually more featureful than the
QML one.

You can also use QML/QtQuick inside Qt Widgets, and there are things
like PyOtherSide if you want to go the QML route.

Florian