[PyQt] Qt Creator / Designer extensibility

Dietmar Schwertberger maillist at schwertberger.de
Sat Jan 16 18:37:36 GMT 2016

On 16.01.2016 12:50, Detlev Offenbach wrote:

> And that's the point where eric can help. An eric project shows the
> files on distinct tabs of its project viewer/manager. On there you can
> ask a .ui file being compiled to Python via the context menu and you
> can ask eric to create a skeleton of the correlated Python script.

That sounds cool. I gave it a try and if I could cope, I wanted to
suggest that to my colleague.

May I suggest that you update the feature list on the front page and
upload one or two screenshots about that? The screenshots are probably
the most important source of information.

Also, may I suggest that you skip the need for installation? When
eric.py is started, just generate the missing bits like config and sip
installation.
Currently, if someone wants to evaluate several IDEs, there's a high
probability that Eric will not even be installed.
After installation, I wanted to start a test project, but the OK button
of "Project Properties" was greyed out permanently without any
indication why. Well, the reason was that the project directory needs to
be a subdirectory of the "Workspace".
Then the default view is a split window which does not have any
functionality if there's no file open and no debug process running.
Well, sooner or later you discover there's some functionality somewhere.
But forms that jump around just annoy me, so at that point I stopped.

Eric may be a nice IDE with the unique feature of Qt integration, but it
seems also quite good in keeping away new users. So I'm not surprised
that in the GUI builder discussions on c.l.p nobody ever mentioned it.

Regards,

Dietmar