[PyQt] sipconfig module not found

Declan Hegarty declan.hegarty at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 09:21:10 BST 2016

Just to make sure I'm not completely heading down the rabbit hole here - I
see the following on the PyQt5 download page:

>> "Before you can build PyQt5 you must have already built and installed SIP
<https://www.riverbankcomputing.com/software/sip/download>"

I assume that because I'm not trying to build PyQt5 from source (I'm
installing a binary package), there is no requirement to build SIP.  If
that assumption is wrong, then I'll need to revisit.

I also note the following from a previous mail on this list:

*>> sipconfig.py is deprecated and does not support PyQt5*

I guess I have two options here.  Either stick with PyQt5 and get a handle
on what the build system looks like without using the sipconfig module, or
revert to PyQt4 and try re-following the Riverbank tutorials, continuing to
use sipconfig.py.  As per my original mail, I'm trying to expose an
existing C++ API to Python.  Some of that API uses classes which inherit
from QObject, which is why I thought SIP looked like the best bet to create
the bindings.  I'm not looking for bang up-to-date bindings to the latest
Qt classes though, so it's likely that PyQt4 will be more than enough for
my purposes......I'm just slightly reluctant to use a build system which
appears to have been superseded.

Declan.