[PyQt] Learning Qt5 designer

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jan 9 18:35:06 GMT 2017

On Sat, 31 Dec 2016, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> It's not that hard. First, your edits should be QLineEdits by default, and
> attached is *one* way to layout it using a form layout. You could use a
> grid as well. Take an afternoon and play a bit with designer. It's fun.

Pete,

   Happy New Year and thanks for the response and example. I've been busy
with end-of-year financial stuff so I could get business and personal
information to my accountant.

   Of course the QLineEdit is the widget I need, not the multi-line Text or
PlainText widgets. I missed seeing that on the tool rack.

   With wxPython I used a combination of horizontal and vertical boxes to
layout widgets and saved the grid for multirow displays like a spreadsheet;
for example, a list of all companies. Other than that, I have no preference
for containers as long as PyQt is happy and they work.

   What are the differences between forms and dialogs? And between the
various container widgets? I've not found an explanation in the on-line docs
or the older printed book.

   In wxPython the frame is the base upon which other widgets are placed. My
applications used tab widgets on the frames and the data entry and display
widgets on each tab were created individually and gathered appropriately by
the horizontal and vertical containers. Leaning the Qt perspective will help
me progress much more quickly.

Thanks again,

Rich