[PyQt] UnicodeDecodeError with output from Windows OS command

J Barchan jnbarchan at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 15:42:15 GMT 2017

On 30 November 2017 at 14:42, Valentin Valls <valentin.valls at esrf.fr> wrote:

> On 11/30/2017 12:24 PM, Florian Bruhin wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 12:12:17PM +0100, Valentin Valls wrote:
> >> stream = qt.QDataStream(byte_array, qt.QIODevice.ReadOnly)
> >> my_string = stream.readQString()
> > This really isn't what a QDataStream is for... and I don't see how it
> could
> > work. For me, it doesn't:
> >
> >     >>> from PyQt5 import QtCore
> >     >>> ba = QtCore.QByteArray(b'hello')
> >     >>> s = QtCore.QDataStream(ba, QtCore.QIODevice.ReadOnly)
> >     >>> s.readQString()
> >     ''
>
> If you don't use QDataStream to write your data i don't see why you try
> to use it to read.
> Regards,

​Valentin, unfortunately your solution did not work for me either.  All the
strings simply come back empty.

Maybe you are talking at cross purposes from the question I am asking, and
Florian who is trying to help me.
I am not in control at all of the writing side --- that is the output of
some arbitrary external application.
Qt lets me *read *its output as a QByteArray. and I need to convert that to
a QString.
But I don't know its encoding, and didn't think I should care about it.
So he/I are only trying to use your principle as means to *read* from
a QByteArray
to a QString, not the other way round.