[PyQt] Issue with touch panel and QWebEngineView since upgrading PyQt5.8 -> 5.10

Brian Knudson brian.knudson at cxcsimulations.com
Tue Aug 14 19:09:24 BST 2018

 Ooops.  I somehow sent that last message while trying to type "PyQt".  Not
quite sure how that even happened.  Let's try that again.

Hello all,

I have an application that uses QWebEngineView to render its main UI. The
html page rendered by QWebEngineView relies on a lot of Javascript and CSS,
and has been working well for a year or so while using PyQt5.8.1.  I
recently moved to PyQt 5.10.1 and am now having problems when using a
consumer grade touch panel (Planar or Viewsonic or the like) to control the
application.

In the html UI, there is a '+' and a '-' on which the user can tap to
change a number.  With PyQt5.8.1, the user can tap as fast as they'd like.
With 5.10.1, if they tap too fast (not impossibly fast, but just quick
tapping), they loose the ability to tap. Occasionally, the number will
continue to increment after the ability to tap is lost.

I can get the ability to tap back if I click the '+' or '-' with the
mouse.  I suspect doing so is giving the "mouse up" that seems to have
gotten lost with fast tapping.

Because I don't have both versions of Qt and PyQt installed on the same
machine, to test this, I compiled my app with PyInstaller 3.2.1 on each
machine, then copied the executables around to several other machines
(running both Windows 7 and 10). On every machine, the one compiled with
PyQt 5.10.1 showed the "lost ability to tap" issue, while the one compiled
with PyQt 5.8.1 worked as expected.

I should note that this is commercial PyQt, so it's compiled from source.
I used Visual Studio 2015 on Windows 7 to compile PyQt 5.8.1, and Visual
Studio 2017 on Windows 10 to compile PyQt 5.10.1.

This issue is on Windows.  This app isn't cross platform, so I haven't
tested on other OSs.

I wonder if anyone has seen this or has a suggestion as to where to start
looking for a solution.

Thanks,
-Brian

--
*Brian Knudson* | Head of Software | *CXC* *SIMULATIONS | *3160 W. El
Segundo Blvd.

Hawthorne | CA 90250 | Office
<https://maps.google.com/?q=3160+W.+El+Segundo+Blvd.+%C2%A0%7C+Hawthorne+%7C%0D%0A++++++++++CA+90275+%7C++Office&entry=gmail&source=g>
: 888.918.2010 | Fax: 310.306.2221 | WWW.CXCSIMULATIONS.COM
<http://www.cxcsimulations.com/>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE :
This e-mail message, including any attachments contains information which
may be CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. The information is intended
only for the use of the individual named above and may not be disseminated
to any other party without written permission. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message
to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
disclosure, distribution, copying or taking of any action in reliance on
the contents of this e-mailed information is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the
sender, and permanently delete this e-mail and the attachments hereto, if
any, and destroy any printout thereof.