[PyQt] QTreeView + sort + delete = crash

John F Sturtz john at sturtz.org
Tue May 7 17:13:39 BST 2019

Thanks again Florian.  I'll see if I can get anywhere with this.

This is Windows, so I can't use gdb, I don't think.  I see your instructions for Windows say something about running a diag tool on a dump file.  Unfortunately, I don't get an "Xxx has stopped working" window, so I'm not sure I have the capability to create a dump file.

But perhaps the faulthandler module will enlighten me.

I keep thinking it must have something to do with sorting the data underlying the model -- that maybe it causes Qt to get confused as to what model index corresponds to what data item.  In any event, it seems definitely to be the case that if I comment the sort out, the crash disappears ...

I appreciate the help.

/John
On 5/7/2019 2:52:06 AM, Florian Bruhin <me at the-compiler.org> wrote:
On Mon, May 06, 2019 at 10:26:29PM -0500, John F Sturtz wrote:
> In neither case, in the course of interacting with the widget or the
> listview, did the model checker report anything, right up to and including
> the point at which the interaction makes the app crash.
>
> Perhaps now I can conclude the problem (probably) isn't in the model design?

Hmm, seems like it.

Maybe you can find out more about the crash by activating Python's faulthandler
module: https://docs.python.org/3/library/faulthandler.html
(either run python with "-X faulthandler", or do "faulthandler.enable()" once)

Or using gdb, similar to what I documented here:
https://github.com/qutebrowser/qutebrowser/blob/master/doc/stacktrace.asciidoc