[PyQt] PyQt5 on windows with Python 3.8.2

Ian Ottoway ian at ottoway.dev
Thu Apr 2 13:55:52 BST 2020

I ran into the same issue. There were some security improvements to DLL loading in Python 3.8 that broke for old versions of Windows.  Windows 7 requires Windows Update KB2533623 to be installed as well.

https://docs.python.org/3/whatsnew/3.8.html#bpo-36085-whatsnew

---- On Thu, 02 Apr 2020 07:17:49 -0500  <skruse131087 at gmx.de> wrote ----

Dear all,

maybe it's known to the mailing list, but I did not find any information about this:

It seems that PyQt5 currently doesn't work with Python 3.8.2 on a win7 machine.

I installed Python 3.8.2 (64bit) and PyQt5 with pip install pyqt5.
A simple import (python >> import PyQt5.QtCore) produced the following error:
python 3.8 pyQT ImportError: DLL load failed while importing QtCore:

As workaround I uninstalled python 3.8 and installed python 3.7. With python 3.7 everything works as expected.

Best regards
Stefan