PyQt6 and SIP v6 Snapshots Available

Kyle Altendorf sda at fstab.net
Wed Sep 30 19:25:52 BST 2020

On 2020-09-30 11:41, Detlev Offenbach wrote:

> Am 29.09.20 um 20:08 schrieb Kyle Altendorf: On 2020-09-29 13:40, Phil Thompson wrote:
> On 29/09/2020 18:09, Detlev Offenbach wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> PyPI seems to have lifted the size limit for wheel files. This raises
> the question if you intend to include the Qt tools needed for
> development (designer, linguist and a few more) in PyQt6 like it was
> in the good old PyQt5 days. I am asking because PySide2 wheel do so
> and PyQt5/6 should not lag behind.
> I think it's dumb to include development tools in what is supposed to
> be a runtime environment. A separate package would be better.

pyqt5-tools now supports Windows and Linux anyways.  I haven't figured
out the Qt application dynamic library dependence detection on macOS
yet, in case anyone wanted to help out with that.  Phil, if you were
interested in providing something like this officially, I'm all for it.
The only thing I bring beyond the packaging is the exception dialog for
Designer which would be nice to integrate in PyQt proper in some form.
Well, I guess also a few command line arguments to help out with adding
your code paths etc when launching the tools.

If pyqt5-tools will be maintained for the foreseeable future that would
be adequate for me. The Qt tools eric uses are the following

I don't have any plans of abandoning it...  :]  but I can't claim I've
been the best maintainer ever either.  It's a bit more comprehensible
(theoretically) since I rewrote it after Phil gave us the sdist
(thanks).

> * designer
> * linguist
> * assistant (optionally)
> * qcollectiongenerator
> * qhelpgenerator
> * lrelease

Those are all presently in the list.  I had to look at the wheel because
it really just grabs stuff in the Qt directory that doesn't depend on
the web libraries (to save size, as it is I've got an exception on PyPI
for size).

> Support for macOS would be good but I doubt, I will be able to test eric on that platform for a long time anymore because my Mac is of old age and doesn't get updates anymore.

As mentioned, there's MacStadium.  They gave me one (thanks).  It was
awful slow with VNC but works fine with TeamViewer, for example.  And
via ssh too.

Cheers,

-kyle