Segmentation fault on importing from PyQt5 in Py3.10

Florian Bruhin me at the-compiler.org
Wed Apr 20 11:25:18 BST 2022

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 07:46:22AM +0200, ullix wrote:
> On 17.04.22 21:36, Ben Greiner wrote:
> >
> > So why are you using an old Ubuntu but a Python 3.10? You should only
> > run software, which still receives at least security updates. Running an
> > old alpha version of Python 3.10 is likely to create more problems than
> > just not being able to import PyQt5. As the Extended Security Release
> > policy for Ubuntu 16.04 does not even cover Python 3.6, which would
> > still be supported by PyQt5, you should really consider switching to a
> > more modern distribution for your software stack.
> >
> That is a consequence of poor quality of the recent Ubuntu makings. I
> started with a laptop and desktop both on the same Ubuntu16.04. Following
> the very logic that you layed out, I upgraded the laptop tp 18.04. This
> basically ruined my installation completely that I saw an install from
> scratch of U20.04 as the only way forward .
>
> This left me with a laptop, which was usuable, albeit only partially. The
> most recent flaw: Broken packages in Python3.10. Unusable there as well.

Sounds like you already had a lot of things installed outside of
"normal" Ubuntu packages. Those things are pretty much expected to break
on major upgrades, unfortunately.

> So, now I defend my old and trusty 16.04 on the desktop, while thinking of
> moving away from Ubuntu...

You might want to do that sooner rather than later, given that you've
been running an OS without any security fixes for over a year now.

Florian

--
            me at the-compiler.org | https://www.qutebrowser.org
       https://bruhin.software/ | https://github.com/sponsors/The-Compiler/