[External] Re: Running PyQt6 with Debug Modules

Johnmichael.Quinlan at idsoftware.com Johnmichael.Quinlan at idsoftware.com
Fri Aug 26 17:19:27 BST 2022

Hey thanks, that is what I suspected,

When I attempted to do that with sipbuild and the debug flag it told me that I needed to run in the debug python console, which I did, but then sipbuild modules fail to load because they don't have debug modules either, so I guess I must build sipbuild in debug too.

it feels odd, like this should be done by the library supplier Riverbank so when you pip PyQt6 you get the debug modules for PyQt6-SIP and PyQt6. So you can use PyQt6 in the debug console out of the box. I would definitely request this going forward.

Essentially there is very little documentation on how to do this and I feel like it's a rabbit hole and I don't know if it's the right one.

So far here is what I think I need to do:

Install Qt6 - ( including the debug binaries build by Qt )
Install Python 3.10
pip install PyQt6 - seems to also install sip and PyQt6-Sip ( maybe sipbuild I can't remember if I got that manually )

Build sipbuild in debug - ( currently I don't know how to do this but I'm investigating ) - probably use python debug console to build sipbuild maybe
use the python debug console and the debug sipbuild modules to build PyQt6 debug

I would love if someone could at least tell me if the above assumptions are correct?