Can't install PyQt via pip because it ask about the license

c.buhtz at posteo.jp c.buhtz at posteo.jp
Wed Oct 5 12:54:05 BST 2022

On 2022-10-05 12:41 Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.com> wrote:
> SIP v6.7.1.

Is there a bug tracker or release tracker I can monitor (subscribe for
notifications)?

> Actually it's more complicated than that - wait for the fixed SIP
> release.

Sorry but no. I don't want to wait and I suspect I don't have.
Debian and Ubuntu do still over ppc64le architecture packages for
PyQt5. So someone was able to build that. Why can't I do that?

Now you may ask why I don't use that packages from Debian/Ubuntu. Here
comes TravisCI on the stage. Travis does use python interpreters in
virtenv where the packages installed via (apt-get) are "ignored".
Currently I use kind of a "hack" for that
<https://github.com/buhtzz/backintime/blob/c6aaa31b8449017a267beb3de6af3b0bc30ad501/.travis.yml#L59-L62>
But I would prefer to (build and) install PyQt5 via pip.

Maybe the other way via "--global-config" is a better solution?

> Run sip-install with the --verbose flag to see why it doesn't want to
> build all the bindings.

There are a lot of errors like this

Checking to see if the QtWinExtras bindings can be built...
/usr/bin/qmake QtWinExtras.pro
Info: creating stash file
/tmp/tmpuufb4hp1/cfgtest_QtWinExtras/.qmake.stash
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: core gui winextras widgets

What does it mean?

btw: I would suspect that "ERROR" messages will popup also with a
verbose flag.