PyQt6 6.7.1 wheel: wrong manylinux glibc version?

Holger.Joukl at LBBW.de Holger.Joukl at LBBW.de
Tue Jul 23 18:00:50 BST 2024

Hi,

> I think this is another case of using a too new Linux distribution to build the wheel (like the problem with PyQt5).
> PyQt-builder sets the manylinux version to 2.28 when it should really inspect the extension module for GLIBC symbols.
>  From memory 6.7.1 was built on Ubuntu 22.04 and v6.7.0 on 20.04.

Yes that explains it, according to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/jammy/+source/glibc Ubuntu 22.04 (Jammy) has
glibc 2.35.

So the tag name of the published v6.7.1 wheel would be wrong and should read "manylinux_2_35",
as you explained.

FWIW, e.g. the manylinux project at least (https://github.com/pypa/manylinux) does not yet
support this newer glibc version. Probably since it's preferable to build on "as old as possible" for a
wide range of compatible OS versions.

E.g. CentOS/RHEL 8 (which is supported until at least until 2029) is glibc 2.28-based - and one wouldn't be able to
use such wheels on the platform.

> I'm in the process of moving from virtual machines to docker containers for the Linux builds so I should be able to confirm and correct this fairly easily.

Great!

Thanks,
Holger

Landesbank Baden-Wuerttemberg
Anstalt des oeffentlichen Rechts
Hauptsitze: Stuttgart, Karlsruhe, Mannheim, Mainz
HRA 12704
Amtsgericht Stuttgart
HRA 4356, HRA 104 440
Amtsgericht Mannheim
HRA 40687
Amtsgericht Mainz

Die LBBW verarbeitet gemaess Erfordernissen der DSGVO Ihre personenbezogenen Daten.
Informationen finden Sie unter www.lbbw.de/datenschutz.