[Eric] how to store SVN password

Algis Kabaila akabaila at pcug.org.au
Sun Nov 8 22:02:25 GMT 2009

On Monday 09 November 2009 02:15:16 detlev wrote:
> On Sonntag, 8. November 2009, Petr Jakeš wrote:

> > > is

> > > If the Save Login Data checkbox is checked, the login credentials
> > > should be saved. You could check that in your .subversion/auth
> > > directory.
> >
> > The owner of the ~/.subversion/auth directory is root on my machine (I am
> >  on Ubuntu 9.10). This IMHO the reason why the login credentials are not
> >  saved even the Save Login Data checkbox is checked.
> > Is there some "clean" way how to solve it, or I have to change the the
> >  owner manualy?
> >
> > Petr
>
> You have to change that manually. It shouldn't have been owner root.
>
> Detlev

Hi,

It was interesting to read this thread as it concerns VCS (Version Control
System), including the requirement to be "root".  I used to use "subversion"
which is the only VCS currently integrated with Eric and remember that
requirement.

Recently I have switched to another open source versioning system, because of
its versatility and ease of use - Bazaar.  It happens to be DVCS (Distributed
Version Control System).  It is handy for both - "home" use with the entire
history kept on the local PC and for "external" repository applications. In
home use it does NOT require setting up of a repository, as the working files
and the record of versions can be kept in one and the same directory.
"Bazaar", a tool for VCS, written mainly in Python and Qt, does not require to
switch to "root" for operation.  It is strictly cross-platform and is tested
with all main operating systems - MS Windows, GNU/Linux, Mac OS.

External repository hosting is offered by "Launchpad". A sample "homepage" on
Launchpad can be seen in https://launchpad.net/bzr-explorer.

An excellent cross-platform GUI, bzr-Explorer, written in Qt (the same GUI
backbone as Eric), is available.  I do feel that it would be an advantage to
Eric to offer versioning Python programs with Bazaar.

Various views of bzr-Explorer on several OS platforms, namely MS Windows,
GNU/Linux Gnome or KDE, Mac Os X, can be inspected in

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/explorer/en/visual-tour-windows.html

A well balanced review of the Bazaar versioning system is described in

http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/migration/en/why-switch-to-bazaar.html

I look forward to the addition of Bazaar to the already excellent Python
programming IDE, Eric.

OldAl.
--
Algis Kabaila, MEngSc, PhD(Eng)