[Eric] help installing eric and prerequisits on ubuntu 10

Peter Bradley p.bradley at dsl.pipex.com
Mon May 3 19:01:44 BST 2010

On 03/05/10 04:19, Ken wrote:
> <snip />
>
> In fact, I'd love a step by step set of instructions to install Eric and its
> prerequisites on Ubuntu if someone knows where I could find them.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

Ken,

I hope this doesn't sound flippant, but all you have to do is to trust
your package manager.  In your case, since you're using Ubuntu, I guess
you will have synaptic installed, so just do the following:

*  Get rid of anything you've installed outside of the package manager
*  Open Synaptic (System --> Administration --> Synaptic Package Manager)
*  Type 'Eric' into the Quick Search text box
*  It does an incremental search, so you should see eric listed as the
top item (or at least, near the top).
*  If you don't see eric easily, click on the Package column heading to
sort the items alphabetically.
*  Select Eric by selecting the checkbox to the left of the name and
then selecting 'Select for installation' in the context menu
*  You might be asked about installing other packages that are
required.  Just accept whatever it suggests.
*  Click on the Apply button
*  Click OK for any questions (e.g. about uninstalling existing
packages) and everything will be installed for you.

It worked for me (Ubuntu 9.04 orginally, now 10.04).  I rarely if ever
install anything except via the package manager, since it takes care of
all prerequisites and dependencies and ensures your system is
consistent.  That's why the first point (above) is there.  If your
system is not consistent you're on your own, really, since only you know
what you have and where it is.

HTH

Peter