[PyKDE] import problem with PyQt2.0-pre2

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 11 11:11:46 BST 2000

Rob Tandy wrote:

> I'm having a problem importing the qt module under PyQt2.0-pre2.  Here is my
> system's setup:
>         debian 2.2
>         qt 2.2.0
>         sip 2.0 pre2
>         PyQt 2.0 pre2
>         Python 1.5.2
>
> I got qt2.2 from the latest debian packages, and I built sip and PyQt myself.
> Everything installed fine.  I've tried fiddling with the LD_{LIBRARY|RUN}_PATH
> environment variables, but this still happens:
>
> $ python -c "import qt"
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/qt.py", line 16, in ?
>     import libqtc
> ImportError: /usr/lib/python1.5/lib-dynload/libqtcmodule.so: undefined symbol: __ti8sipProxy
>
> Any thoughts?  Hopefully its just something easy I forgot.

An undefined symbol related to sipProxy is usually because SIP has been
compiled with Qt support disabled. This happens if the SIP configure
script can't find Qt (particularly the header files). Have a look at the
output of running configure again, and let me know where Qt is installed
on your system.

> Also, I was happy to see a new PyQt with QCanvas support so soon!  Are there
> plans to implement QThread?

No, Python already has it's own thread support. For the same reason I
don't plan on implementing the Qt XML classes.