[PyKDE] KDE 3.0.1

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri May 24 02:53:01 BST 2002

Just when I thought I was finished for a while, KDE 3.0.1 is
released. I haven't downloaded it yet, but from the ChangeLogs, it
looks like there's probably enough new stuff to warrant a PyKDE
update. 'cpp' file changes make no difference, h file changes are
what matter, and it looks like kio and some others have some new
methods. The coming weekend is a holiday in the US, and I'm in the
middle of some other stuff, so it will be at least several weeks
for an update.

The other stuff I'm in the middle of is business forms (invoices
and stuff). I've been using ReportLab (http://www.reportlab.com)
and it's a great piece of software. It allows you to compose pdf
files in Python, which wasn't the first thing I had in mind but
turns out to be a great solution both for printing, previewing and
emailing this kind of stuff. I was able to write a single Form
class that will handle all of the various docs (more than half a
dozen) I need to generate in about a day and a half. Next I have to
do the UI in PyKDE - I hope that's as easy to use :)

The other piece of news is that Ricardo Cardenes is modifying the
PyKDE 'build' script to enable concatenating all of a module's cpp
files into a single huge file. He's doing it for Debian, but is
contributing the changes back to PyKDE, and this will be an option
in a future version. No news yet on how much compile time is
affected.

Jim