[PyKDE] PyKDE Valentine's Day Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Feb 13 19:38:01 GMT 2004

On Friday February 13 2004 05:55, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> On Friday 13 February 2004 07:14, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > PyKDE is going nicely - all issues with sip 3.10/3.11 have
> > been resolved (except one, about which I haven't provided
> > good info to Phil, and it isn't a major problem). PyKDE
> > builds, links and runs using the sip snapshots (will require
> > sip 3.11), and using a configure.py similar to what sip and
> > PyQt use (and depends on those as well).

> These are very good news since this also implies, that you
> fairly quickly recovered from your eye surgeries. Wishing you
> all the best!

Thanks - 20/15 (6/5 metric) in both eyes. I still need a cheap
pair of glasses for reading (books or monitor), but everything
is much brighter/more colorful.

> > Remaining work - I need to update my sip file generation
> > tool to sip 3.10/sip 4, which is mostly done. When that's
> > complete, I'll have a PyKDE that supports KDE 3.1.5, and
> > supporting KDE 3.2 shouldn't take more than a few days.  I
> > also need to update the documentation generation (which also
> > shouldn't take too long). After that, I need a few days to
> > test against various versions and distributions.

> If you like me to test some pre release versions on SuSE, just
> send them over directly, or may we ask Phil for adding some
> snapshot dir for you?

As always, the biggest concern is build script - can you test KDE
3.1.5 or do you need 3.2?

> > I'm hoping to have a release in 7-10 days, but that's not a
> > promise. For anyone interested in presip, I should be able
> > to send out a tarball of that about the same time, although
> > it's still a long way to an actual release of that.

> Please add me to the "list". What are your plans with sip4
> support? Will presip support sip4 transparently, or will you
> throw away sip3 support some time soon?

sip 3.10/3.11 and sip 4 can use identical syntax (except sip 4 no
longer supports some obsolete constructions). I haven't tried
sip 4 yet, but I believe everything in both PyKDE and presip
will be sip 4 compatible. I believe Phil intends 3.11 to be the
last sip 3.x release, so PyKDE's sip 3.x support will end when
backwards compatibility with sip 3.x ends.

PyKDE will be both smaller (tarball size) and configure.py runs
faster than build.py (3-4 minutes vs 14-15 for build.py). Some
of the decrease in size is due to dropping KPanelApplet support
out of PyKDE, but in general the sip code and build-related
files are still smaller anyway.

Jim