[PyKDE] can't make PyKDE

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Tue Jul 5 18:06:31 BST 2005

Jim Bublitz <jbublitz at nwinternet.com> wrote:

>> First, I was updating SIP, PyQT, PyKDE. Second I try to make this. SIP,
>> PyQT making successful.
>>
>> After this problem with my previous post solved, but new problem appear
>>
>> g++: internal error: Killed (program cc1plus)
>>
>> I think it is problem with my compiler.
>>
>> With best wishes Viktor.
>
> One possible problem is the size of .cpp files PyKDE generates. For speed
of
> compiling, all of the files in a module are concatenated into one huge
file
> - the exception is kdeui, which is concatenated into two huge files,
because
> the single file breaks gcc on my systems.
>
> You can split the files into smaller chunks using  the -j switch (-j=N,
> where N >= 3) and still retain some of the speedup. Alternatively, you can
> turn off concatenation using the -i switch, which generates one cpp file
> for each .sip file, but the compile will be 4X to 5X longer.

I have a preliminar patch to add support for precompiled headers (under
MSVC) to the sip build engine. I attached it to this mail, but I never
cleaned it up nor submitted for inclusion. I think it might help for PyKDE,
since the compilation times I measured with PyQt were pretty similar to
those obtained with the single-file build, but memory usage was much lower.
You'll have to rewrite this for GCC, but it could be a starting point if you
are interested.
--
Giovanni Bajo