[PyQt] Python Plugins not Appearing in Designer

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sat Oct 25 01:56:15 BST 2008

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 16:37:54 -0700, Brent Villalobos wrote:

> There are a few things that might be causing this, but I wanted to get
> some of your thoughts before pursuing them further (since I don't have
> permissions to change our Qt or PyQt installation I didn't want to
> bother another department without specific questions and requests).  Are
> there files I need to look for to verify that the python plugins will
> work?  It looks like we are running a 64-bit installation of designer.
> Any potential issues there?

Any problems with a 64-bit Qt Designer would be reflected in problems
with Qt and PyQt. In other words, if your PyQt installation is working
fine with your Qt installation then the problem may be elsewhere.

> The examples I loaded were for PyQt
> v4.4.3.  Our Qt installation is v4.4.1 and our PyQt installation is
> v4.4.3.  Any potential problems there?

Nothing about those particular versions immediately springs to mind.

> I would appreciate any assistance on how I can go about debugging this.
> Let me know if you need any other information.  Thanks.

It may depend on how Qt Designer was built and on the PyQt modules that
your IT department has provided.

If Qt Designer is built statically then you won't be able to add plugins.
Are there any C++ plugins installed? You can check by opening the Help
menu and selecting the "About Plugins" item.

If you start Python at the command line and type

  from PyQt4 import QtDesigner

what do you get? If this module isn't available then that's one reason
why Python plugins aren't working.

That's all I can think of right now.

David