[PyQt] Building SIP project

Matt Newell newellm at blur.com
Tue Jul 5 19:04:54 BST 2011

On Tuesday 05 July 2011 10:19:08 Jens Thoms Toerring wrote:
> Hi,
>
>    I have a SIP wrapper for a C++ library, consisting of
> about 60 .sip files. Things work quite well, but I have
> an issue with the process of creating the wrapper library.
> I use an (a bit adapted) configure script like it is shown
> in the documentation.
>
> The problem is that each small change to any of the .sip
> files requires a rebuilt of each and every file. I have
> a "central" .sip file that includes all the others. And
> when I change any of those files and thus need to run
> the configure script all .cpp files are created anew.
> And then, of course, they're newer than the correspon-
> ding .o file and make will recompile all of them. That
> takes around 5 minutes and really slows development down.

> So I am looking for a way to tell sip to not re-create
> .cpp files when they aren't older than the correspon-
> ding .sip file or anything equivalent. Any ideas how
> to get this done?
I think that such a check wouldn't work in many cases.  However if sip would
do a comparison of the existing .cpp file to the newly generated one, and only
overwrite the existing one if there was a change, that should work properly in
all cases.

I've been meaning to request this for a few years myself.

Matt