[PyQt] Deployment Issues on Linux For a C++ Embedded Python Application

Ferguson, Eric W (397B) Eric.W.Ferguson at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Dec 17 18:35:20 GMT 2015

Hi PyQt Fanatics,

I am running into trouble deploying an application that uses PyQt to a machine that is not my development machine. I have a Qt C++ application that embeds python and then uses PyQt to provide a python scripting interface to the C++ application. All of this works perfectly on my development machine. In order to deploy my application so it will work on other machines, I wrap it with a short shell script that sets the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a directory within my package that includes the Qt dynamic libraries and the python library necessary to run an embedded python interpreter. I am also packaging my application with the python standard library by maintaining the same relative path between the python library and the standard library that is found on my development machine (for example, on my development machine the relative path to the standard library from the pathtopythonlib is pathtopythonlib/python2.7). The PyQt libraries are found in a dist-packages directory within the python standard library, which I am also including in my package.

When I move this package over to a new machine and try to run a python script I get the following error:
QMetaType::registerType: Binary compatibility break -- Size mismatch for type 'QPaintBufferCacheEntry' [1024]. Previously registered size 16, now registering size 0.

Does anyone have any insight into what may be happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Some additional details:

  *   Using PyQt4
  *   Building using Qt 5.4.1 gcc 64-bit
  *   Both machines I am testing on are Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks,
Eric Ferguson
NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Mission Operations Engineer (397B)
818.634.1928

"It’s human nature to stretch, to go, to see, to understand. Exploration is not a choice, really; it’s an imperative." - Michael Collins